Friday, October 2, 2009

A Personal study of Online Scoliosis

I was in my sixth year at the National Ballet School of Canada, working on some posture exercises when my teacher complained that she couldn’t get my back and shoulders to align. A short pediatrician’s visit later and it was confirmed, I was one of the lucky few (and I’m talking about 1 out of 1000 to be exact), to have developed Idiopathic Scoliosis.


My parents I spent the next 8 years heavily involved in online Scoliosis research; staying up-to-date with the latest treatments and studies, chatting with other patients and doctors, participating in a plethora of fora. What we got out of this interaction and research was so valuable I have made it my master’s focus to understand how Internet communication in the medical field affects in-person relationships, and to determine how the system can be improved to better help both patients and doctors.


Scoliosis is a medical condition in which a person's spine is curved (rotated) from side to side, shaped like an "S”. Idiopathic refers to the unknown cause, although most doctors attribute some responsibility to genetics (Thanks mom!)

The traditional medical management of scoliosis is complex and is determined by the severity of the curvature and skeletal maturity, which together help predict the likelihood of progression.


The conventional options are, in order:

  1. Observation: Or as physicians call it the ever so popular “wait and see” method
  2. Bracing: Absolute hell for a teenager (and you thought dental braces were bad!)
  3. Surgery: Destroy my childhood dreams of dancing, but give me a 4 cm growth spurt in a day

Bracing is normally done when the adolescent has bone growth remaining, and is generally implemented in order to hold the curve and prevent it from progressing to the point where surgery is indicated. Bracing involves fitting the patient with a device that covers the torso, and in some cases it extends to the neck. The most commonly used is a Boston brace, a corset-like appliance that fits from armpits to hips and is custom-made from fiberglass or plastic. It is usually worn 24/7 minus shower time.


Here’s a mug shot of my 4th (they make more to fit you as you grow), and favorite (did you not see the butterflies) brace.


2 comments:

  1. When I was 10 or so years old my doctor told me I had scoliosis and we went with the 'wait and see' approach. By my freshman year of high school (age 14) I was told not to engage in too much heavy lifting because of the slight deviation in my spine. This did not stop me from playing for the baseball team, and actually got me out of some of the more laborious workouts, but I have wondered what being another inch taller and better aligned might have done for me. My mom did most of what little research we did on the topic (I think she looked it up in a reference journal), but my parents we're really quite satisfied with an answer that meant no further outlay of coin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi jimmeykey5,

    It seems that most young kids (me included) left most of the research work to our parents (what else are they good for? ;-).
    However, as I grew into my older teens, I became much more involved in reading up about Scoliosis. Of course, this condition has many varying degrees of gravity.
    Most people have a slight curvature, it is only when your degrees go above a certain number that you are considered for bracing, surgery etc. It is very likely that your doctor identified a small curve and took the 'wait and see' route.
    If you have not visited you physician in a long time (years) maybe it is in your best interest to see if and how your condition progressed.
    If you are in no pain - that's a good sign. You can live with Scoliosis your entire life and experience no more pain than any other random person.
    Because my curvature was relatively severe (the x-ray under my profile is in fact MY spine) and because I have always been interested in my body and would like to have input in the decisions that affect my health, I continue to research online.

    Do you know if the medical journals your mother read were online, or did she get access via a library?

    ReplyDelete